Jenco Vibraphone Restoration

I bought this vibraphone for $750 (shipped) thinking it would be a great project with minimal work. I was wrong! It came with three wheels, bent eyelets holding up the keys (barely), and a felt damper so old it was crumbling. I replaced the eyelets with new pins from Salazar Fine Tuning - John Salazar is a great guy to work with! The felt bar was replaced with thicker, softer felt and I also replaced the (working) single speed motor with a restored variable speed from the M-55 project. I had to build a new controller box and make it removable so that the frame could still fold up to be transported. This was not as easy as it sounds - I had to make custom brackets out of aluminum stock and drill large holes into the frame. I put four new wheels on and this vibraphone looks as nice as it sounds!
DSCN2152.JPG
Vibraphone after unpacking it.
DSCN2153.JPG
Notice the missing wheel, bottom right.
DSCN2155.JPG
Old mercury switch and felt damper.
DSCN2157.JPG
Dented resonator and dirty chrome frame.
DSCN2173.JPG
Cleaned up and four new wheels!
DSCN2175.JPG
A nice solid brass mallet holder.
DSCN2177.JPG
Motor controller box I built. Note the plug.
DSCN2179.JPG
It is removable so the frame can fold up.
DSCN2180.JPG
Restored Bodine Motor.
DSCN2182.JPG
Nice Mother of Pearl finish.
DSCN2183.JPG
New felt damper bar and key pins.
DSCN2181.JPG
Front view.

DK Percussion Repair
© DK Percussion 2008